Hi there! And welcome to Craft Goodies. I'm thrilled that you've stopped by and hope you find something here that makes your visit a great one...

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Beach Bash Lantern Tutorial!!!

I'm adding this post ot the CSI Project Knock Off Challenge:

Visit thecsiproject.com

 I am currently, well actually have been for a while, 100% in love with lanterns. I love the soft glow they create, the romance they inspire, the feeling of being in another time-that and because they are enclosed, my children cannot keep blowing them out!
The Shorechic lantern featured here is the one that started it all. I pondered on how to make this baby for months! The top piece was kicking my booty, but I got it, and I LOVE it.
I'm sharing this post on my blog because one it took me two and a half days to complete it and two, because this is by far one of my favorite projects ever, and that's saying a lot...



How excited am I to be participating in Angie's super fab
 BEACH BASH!!!
Hi-it's Wendy from Craft Goodies and season one of OMTWI here.
My blog is my escape from my real life of running 5 little girls around town and trying to keep up with my husbands crazy busy work/school schedule. On it you'll find everything I love-good food, fun projects- some of my own, a few borrowed from others, snippets of my family life, and any and all other craziness I can write about. 
I started my blog as a way to keep in touch with my crafty friends after a big move from Washington state to Southern Texas. It has grown into a place I love to be, that and my kids think it's pretty cool that their mom has a "job".
 
If you ever stop by and check me out, you'll find that I am by far a girl that loves her power tools and a good wood project.
I've been drooling over these for a while now...
from shorechic.com
Angie's party was the perfect excuse to try and tackle one.
It came out pretty good...I'm a happy girl!
 


I'm thinking you need one too! Here's the must haves:

(These came from my local dollar store)
4  8x10 picture frames with glass
square dowel pack


 
(Got the rest at Lowe's)
1x2 firring strip
*6 ft board is plenty long!
1x3 firring strip
1x12 pine board cut to square
*wood is funky! actual size is 11.5x11.5
(2)  3/8 inch square poplar dowels
6 inch metal roof shingle
metal shelf support ring
*this came in a set
and 2 hinges
*these come in a pack of 4


Then a few tools:
wood glue
finishing nails and a hammer
paint
sandpaper
Miter saw or miter box and hand saw
drill
 
Whew! Now that you've got all that, let's get busy...
 
Make the base:
 



Cut the 1x2 to make a frame around the 12x12 inch board.
The ends are mitered at 45 degrees and each piece is 11 1/2 inches long on the short side.
Glue the pieces into place with the wood glue and then secure with a few finishing nails.
 
Connect the frames:
 



Remove the glass from the frames and set aside.
Cut the 3/8 inch dowels into four pieces that match the length of the picture frames-
Glue a dowel onto each side of two frames, then glue the third frame in between them to for a "U" shape.
 

 


Once they are dry, attach the fourth frame using the hinges-you'll add a handle later.
Center the frames onto the base. Glue the three "U" frames into place leaving the door free to open and close.
 
Make the lid:
 



Make two more "frames", one from the 1x3 with each piece (short side) measuring 6 3/4 inches long. And one from the 1x2 with the pieces measuring 6 1/2 inches long.
Set the two frames aside.
 
PAINT ALL THE WOOD PIECES!
 



I wanted that chippy, peeling, I've been at the beach for a long time look. So I started with a base coat of dark brown and topped that off with white. Then I sanded the crud out of it!
You could add a layer of stain, I liked it so I just added a coat of varnish.
Set aside to dry.
 
Assemble the metal lid:
 



Center the shelving support onto the shingle, mark the holes with a marker.
If you want to add a hanging loop, drill two holes into the shelving support bracket. Otherwise drill out the holes marked on the shingle, line the bracket back up and add nuts and bolts to hold in place.
Spray paint both sides dark brown.
Pretend the pictures all match up-I went about it the hard way and painted after I assembled the entire lid piece...
 



Center the shingle onto the inside of the smallest frame and nail into place. Repeat on the opposite side to form the metal dome.
Glue the small frame onto the larger frame and add a few nails. Then glue that onto the picture frame square being sure to NOT glue the door. I added a few nails here for strength.
 
Paned Windows:
(sorry the pictures are a little wonky-I forgot to take some before I decorated the inside. I was a little excited!)
 


Cut 4 of the dowels to fit the inside of the frame's length, should be 10.5 inches. Cut the remaining dowels into eight 3 7/8 inch pieces for the cross sections.
Paint the dowels to match the lantern. While they dry replace the glass into the frames.
Glue the dowels onto the glass to create the panes-one long and 2 small pieces per frame.


Finish it up:
 



 Add a wire hanger if you drilled holes for it and glue a small seashell or wood bead to the door for a handle.Tuck in a few pillar candles, sand, and some great shells inside, set back and enjoy the view!
AH! I can almost smell the ocean air now...
***Do you just love those candles? Totally stole that idea from the Pottery Barn catalog. I simply mod podged a torn strip of map onto my pillar candles. The maps came from Angie's amazing etsy shop as part of my OMTWI prize package*** 
 
 
So much fun! Thank you for letting me share my little piece of beach heaven with you all.
 Stop by and say hi sometime, you'll find me here:
 
Sharing stuff like this:

     
Summer Fun Board ** Blockhead Tutorials**Fabric Fun** Wood You Like to Craft?

I also host a weekly linky party
T.G.I.F.-Thank GOODIES it's Friday!
  and would love to have you join me.
The more the merrier!!!
Craft Goodies

Thanks again, catch you at the beach!!!


5 comments:

Julie said...

I am in LOVE with this lantern! I got the supplies to make one yesterday, and can't wait to get started. I hope mine turns out half as cute as yours :)

Unknown said...

Your lantern is so cute! I just LOVE it. Thanks for sharing.

Karen @ The Quaint Cottage said...

LOVE! It is such a great item.

KimMalk said...

Hey-visiting from CSI. This is pretty darned amazing. I can't believe you figured all of that out. You know what I'd like, is a wooden trellis (box) about 24" tall. I think you'd be just the girl to make it come to life.

KimMalk said...

Correction. I did some digging around and it's an obelisk trellis, I'm looking for.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...